8 reasons to join a small group…
Childcare Ideas for your group
1. You will understand the Bible better in a small group. If you´ve ever wanted to stop the preacher & say, "But what about...?" then a small group is for you! Preaching is one way communication. You listen while the speaker speaks. It´s fine for imparting knowledge but not as effective for personal application. In a small group you can ask questions and learn from others as they share insights and illustrations of the truth you are trying to grasp. The Bible must be applied to our lives and that happens best in small groups.
2. You will begin to really feel like part of God´s family. Most people who have been part of a group say the greatest benefit is the friendships they develop. You´ll discover that your needs and problems are not unique. We’re all in the same boat and we need eath other. Over fifty times in the New Testament the phrase "one another" is used to describe our relationship to other believers. We are instructed to love, encourage, accept and pray for one another, to carry one another’s burdens and build one another up. This happens best, in a small group.
3. Prayer will become more meaningful to you. Many people are hesitant to pray in front of others, especially in a large group. In a small group of 6 to 12, you will learn to participate in prayer by having a conversation together with God. No one is pressured to pray, but as you become comfortable, you´ll be able to pray sentence prayers and join in. There are many promises in the Bible related to group prayer. In praying together with a few others, we are drawn together and we find answers to the needs in our lives.
4. You will be able to handle stress and pressure better. Small groups provide excellent support in times of crisis, change, and stress. You´ll have a sense of stability and security knowing there are people who really care for you and are committed to standing with you.
5. You will have a natural way to share Christ with others. It may be that some of your friends who don´t I know the Lord wouldn´t be caught dead in a church. They have a preconceived idea and just the thought makes them defensive. But they might be open to an invitation to a casual Bible study in a home or some other casual setting. In a small group, your friend can ask questions and express honest doubts without feeling "put on the spot". When your friend sees the love, warmth and honesty of your group, it will make him more receptive to the Good News.
6. You will develop abilities you never knew you had! The Bible teaches that every believer is given certain talents or "gifts" to benefit others in the family of God. Unfortunately most Christians remain as Sunday morning spectators all their lives because large group meetings are primarily "sit and listen" situations. As you share and participate in a relaxed small group setting, you´ll discover your confidence and self-
7. You will deepen your understanding of worship. Many believers mistakenly believe that worship can only happen on Sunday morning in a large group with a sermon and an offering plate! Worship happens anytime we focus on God. Sometimes that happens best in a small group as they pray together, share communion or serve one another.
8. You will experience New Testament Christianity! The book of Acts is very clear
about how God intends for His people to grow and have their needs met in the church.
We will never be able to hire enough pastors to meet all the needs in our family.
God never intended for it to be that way! Consider these verses:
"They devoted themselves to the apostles teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread, and to prayer. All the believers were together and had everything in common. Every day they continued to meet together... they broke bread in their homes and ate together... and the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved." Acts 2:42, 44, 46-
"Day after day, in the temple courts and from house to house they never stopped teaching and proclaiming the Good News that Jesus is the Christ." Acts 5:42
Small Groups are a BIG part of what we do at NEChog! We would love to help you a) find a group that is right for you, or b) Start a new group of your now–with a few friends–it’s so easy to do–you wan’t believe it! Call us today and we’ll help you get started.
North Euclid Church of God
3430 North Euclid Avenue
Bay City, MI 48706